Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Art of Managing Your Career is a resource guide for self-employed artists & cultural workers

The Art of Managing Your Career

http://www.culturalhrc.ca/amyc/index-e.asp

The Art of Managing Your Career is a resource guide for self-employed artists and cultural workers in live performing arts; writing and publishing; visual arts and craft; film, television and broadcasting; digital media; music and sound recording, and heritage.

The Art of Managing Your Career was updated in 2009 to include fresh and original examples, brand-new links to useful websites, and up-to-date information on finance and technology. It also includes province-specific examples and procedures along with the information found in the original version.

The Art of Managing Your Career and its discipline enhancements were developed by artists and cultural workers to provide emerging self-employed artists and cultural workers with pertinent and practical information to better manage their careers.

Support material for The Art of Managing Your Career has been developed: a Teacher's Guide and Course Modules. The Teacher's Guide is designed for use with young and emerging artists and cultural workers. The Course Modules are designed for teachers at the college and university level and for use by professional associations.

Here is an overview of the 5 chapters:

Chapter 1: The Culture Biz (PDF)
Includes topics such as:

  • How do I establish my career goals?
  • What is a business plan?
  • How do I shape my career goals and business plan into a career strategy?

Chapter 2: The Art of Self-Promotion (PDF)
Includes topics such as:

  • What constitute an effective promotional package?
  • How can I economically promote my work?

Chapter 3: The A to Z of Project Management (PDF)
Includes topics such as:

  • How can I get organized?
  • How do I write a successful proposal?
  • Where else can I find financial support?
  • How do I develop an action plan?

Chapter 4: Money – Keeping Track (PDF)
Includes topics such as:

  • How do I prepare and administer a budget?
  • How does self-employment differ financially from employment?
  • How do I handle income tax?

Chapter 5: You and the Law (PDF)
Includes topics such as:

  • How do I establish and enforce contracts?
  • How do I protect my copyright?
  • How do I resolve a legal dispute?